Hackle - Smooth Points - Diz Included - Stainless Steel Tines - Cherry Wood
Smooth points, stainless steel tines, and crafted from cherry wood with a Danish oil finish. With a beginners diz included to get you started these Hackles are ready to go. Available in 3 lengths: 8” 12” and 18”
What are Hackles used for? Here are a couple of the most common uses:
- BLENDING! Load your hackle with different colored roving and use a diz or draft it by hand to pull off beautiful, blended fibers.
- Use your combs and Hackle together for more efficient processing. Comb your fiber with your hand combs and load the last pass onto the Hackle. Keep doing this until your Hackle is loaded and diz off a large amount of combed top all at once! This makes it much faster, and it’s nicer to spin from one long ‘roving’ than a few smaller ones.
There are other techniques and uses for Hackles. We would love to hear from you. What is your favorite use for your Hackle?
What makes our Hackles special?
- Smooth points won’t catch on your fiber. The points on these combs are silky smooth with a long taper to allow them to slide through your fiber without catching.
- Sharp, but not too sharp. We apply a micro tip bevel on the points to keep them from being too sharp but allowing them to penetrate your fiber smoothly. Needle sharp points are unnecessary and dangerous to use.
- Strong Tines. Our tines are made from sturdy stainless steel. Not all Stainless steel is created equal. There are a variety of Stainless-steel grades with varying strengths and weaknesses. We chose the best option for strength for the best combing experience.
- Tines set close to the edge. This helps remove more good fiber from the combs when unloading them onto the hackle. It also helps with dizzing off the fiber.
- Sturdy Convenient Clamps. The included clamps are perfect to securely attach your hackle to your table or countertop. (The surface you are clamping these on should have a square edge for best hold) The clamps are inset to keep everything behind the tines, so your comb won't catch on anything during use.
- Handy Safety Cap. After your Hackle is loaded or when it is not in use drop the safety cap over the points and your set!
- Included is a beginners diz to help you get started!
- Made from cherry hardwood and finished with hand rubbed Danish Oil Finish.
- Made in the USA. These are handcrafted by us in our woodshop in Central KY.
- Available in 3 Lengths: 8" 12" & 18" (The sizes listed is the actual working area. The width of the tines.)
- Available in Extra Fine and Fine:
Fine: The tines are set approx. ¼” to center.
Extra Fine: The tines are set approx. 3/16” to center.
- Ships free to the lower 48 States.
Beautiful, well worth the price
Beautiful craftsmanship, very sturdy, works great especially to separate undercoat fibers from the longer outer fibers. The tine cap is a benefit. Great price. Would highly recommend!
This hackle is beautifully finished. I like that the wood is shaped so that the clamps holding it to the table are out of the way while combing and dizzing off. The tines are sharp, but not too sharp. They do not snag the wool, though they are not as shiny and smooth as another brand I have used. They are also positioned close to the edge of the wood, which makes it easier to work with this hackle than others. The wood does not get in the way. This hackle allows me to process a larger amount of wool at once than combs alone. I love the wooden cap to protect the tines. The cap also protects people from sharp tines and looks great when I need to walk away from my work station. The cork on the bottom does a great job holding the hackle still--it doesn't scoot across the table as I tug at the wool. The beginner diz is great. It floats nicely on the fiber. I have been using a metal washer as a diz for years, and didn't realize what a nice difference a light weight diz can make. This hackle is a beautiful tool at a reasonable price, and it does a great job processing fiber. Thank you!
Beautiful, sturdily made equipment! Fast deliver and great communication!
I was impressed with the beauty and quality of the combs and hackle.
We Also Recommend