Comb and Hackle Kit - Smooth Points - Diz and Tine Straightener Included
Perfect kit for combing raw fiber on a hackle. Use the hackle for blending as well! Includes: 1 Regular Wool Comb, and Hackle, Starter Diz, Tine Straightener, and 2 Hackle Clamps.
What are Hackles used for? Here are a couple of the most common uses:
- Blending Hackle: Load your hackle with different colored roving and use the diz or draft it by hand to pull off beautiful, blended fibers.
- Combing Hackle: Use your combs and Hackle together for more efficient processing. Comb your fiber with your hand combs and load the last pass onto the Hackle. Keep doing this until your Hackle is loaded and diz off a large amount of combed top all at once! This makes it much faster, and it’s nicer to spin from one long ‘roving’ than a few smaller ones.
There are other techniques and uses for Hackles. We would love to hear from you. What is your favorite use for your Hackle?
What makes our Hackles special?
- Smooth Points won't snag on your fiber.
- A long taper is very important to easily penetrate the fiber instead of pushing it out of the way. Each pin is professionally made in an 8 step process for the highest quality tines.
- Sharp, but not too sharp. A micro beveled tip on the points keep them sharp but not too sharp. Needle sharp points are dangerous to use, and easily bend the very tips if dropped.
- Sturdy Tines. Not all Stainless steel is created equal. There are a variety of Stainless-steel grades with varying strengths and weaknesses. We use the stronger options for the superior combing experience.
- Handcrafted in the USA from Cherry, sanded smooth, and finished with hand rubbed Danish Oil Finish.
- Cork pads on Hackle and Clamps grips your table, and won't leave scratches.
- With special thanks to Susan Mcfarland (Author of Combs Combs Combs) for her expert advice, feedback, and input throughout the designing process
- Tines set close to edge of Hackle. This helps remove more good fiber from the combs when unloading them onto the hackle. It also helps with dizzing off the fiber.
- Two sturdy clamps included. The clamps are perfect to securely attach your hackle to your table or countertop. (Your table should have a square edge for best hold)
- Inset clamps won't get in your way while you are combing. The clamps are inset behind the tines, so your comb won't catch on them during use.
- Included beginners diz to get you started.
- Included Tine Straightener. A tine straightener makes it easy to straighten out bent tines in case of an accident while combing. (The tines are very sturdy, and WILL NOT bend under normal use.)
- Available in 3 Lengths: 8" 12" & 18" (The sizes listed is the actual working area. The width of the tines.)
Now with (Optional) Magnetic Caps!
- Quick and easy to install and use. These comb and hackle covers clip on and off in a second.
- Holds Firmly to the Comb and Hackle with strong Magnets. No need to worry about the cap falling off as you carry them around.
- You can install the cap while the comb in full of fiber. Only covers the sharp points while leaving the rest of the comb open. Easily clip a cap on until you have a chance to diz the fiber off.
Fine? Or Extra Fine?
Fine: Perfect for most medium fibers like Romney, Suffolk, Shetland, Blue-face Leicester, and similar fibers . The tines are set approx. ¼” apart.
Extra Fine: Perfect for most finer fibers like Alpaca, Merino, Rambouillet and similar fibers. If your locks are very thin and tightly crimped you may need these combs to hold the fiber better than the Fines. The tines spaced approx. 3/16” apart.
𝗔 𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝘂𝘀...
All our combs and hackles are designed and handcrafted in our woodshop on our small farm in Central KY. I guarantee you will be absolutely 100% happy with your purchase. I try to offer the absolute best customer service possible with free returns for any reason. (Even if you accidentally order the wrong size or type!)
Questions? I would love to help!
Bam Fiber Works
We Also Recommend